We use cookies to improve the browsing experience for you and others. If you would like to learn more about cookies please view our cookie policy. To accept cookies continue browsing as normal. Continue


NHS Care home fees 31st March deadline approaching

A new deadline for people wishing to claim back withheld Continuing Healthcare payments from the NHS is fast approaching. The following article was written by Krystal Lewis, a solicitor within our Liverpool Private Client Department.

Covering the costs of care home fees can be a big concern. Fortunately, if you or your relative requires care primarily for health reasons then the NHS will meet the full costs of the care as part of a care package called NHS Continuing Healthcare.

On the face of it, this package should be there to help you when you need it most. However, thousands of people in care have been finding that the NHS has withheld Continuing Healthcare payments, forcing them to sell their homes and other assets to afford care home fees. Those recovering from a stroke or suffering from conditions like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease might find that they have been wrongly charged for their care, due to individual NHS trusts differing in their interpretations of the national guidelines.

If you or a relative have been paying for residential care between 1st April 2011 and 31st March 2011 then you may be eligible to have some or all of your care fees reimbursed. The Department of Health has recently announced that applications for the recovery of nursing care fees paid between 1st April 2011 and 31st March 2012 must be registered by 31st March this year (2013). Therefore, you must act now if you think that you have a claim and wish to recover any fees that may have been wrongly paid.

At Canter Levin & Berg our dedicated Continuing Healthcare team are committed to helping clients claim back money that is rightfully theirs. We will undertake a free no obligation assessment and advise you if you have a claim.

For more information about the legal implications of NHS Continuing Healthcare payments, or for advice on other areas of law, please contact our Private Client Department today.

By Krystal Lewis