We use cookies to improve the browsing experience for you and others. If you would like to learn more about cookies please view our cookie policy. To accept cookies continue browsing as normal. Continue

Road Traffic Accidents > Cycling Accidents > Cycling Accident Questions

Cycling accident claims - your questions answered

96% of our Road Traffic Accident clients felt their case was dealt with sensitively

Our cycling accident solicitors are here to answer your questions if you are considering making a claim for compensation following a cycling accident.

Quick Enquiry

If you would like any further information regarding road traffic law, please complete our short enquiry form below;

We understand that if you have been involved in a cycling accident that wasn’t your fault and you are looking to make a claim for cycling accident compensation, you’ll appreciate a straightforward approach. On this section of the website we’ve answered some of the questions our solicitors are most frequently asked by people who have just been involved in a cycling accident.

If you have a question relating to a cycling accident claim that isn’t listed here, please use our online enquiry form to submit your question to our road traffic accident department.

Who will repair my bike?

As part of your cycling accident claim, your solicitor will be able to include the costs of repairing your bike within the total compensation amount being claimed. In the same way, if your bike is so badly damaged that it cannot be repaired, then the cost of buying a replacement can be include as part of your claim.

When discussing the costs of repairs with your cycling accident solicitor, you should mention any specialist cycling equipment or modifications to your bike as, if they were damaged in your accident, you should be compensated for the cost of repairing or replacing these as well.

Who will compensate me for injury?

If you have been injured in an accident whilst on your bike, and the accident wasn’t your fault, then chances are you will be able to claim compensation from the person or persons responsible for your accident. Any compensation that you receive will be paid by the insurance company whose policy covers those responsible for your accident.

In certain situations, where an accident has been caused by someone who doesn’t have insurance cover (for example a person driving without insurance) then it may still be possible to make a claim for compensation from the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

Who will arrange physiotherapy and rehabilitative treatment?

After a cycling accident, if you have been injured then we will arrange for you to attend a physiotherapist for an assessment of your injuries. The physiotherapist will advise you if your injuries would benefit from a course of physiotherapy to aid your recovery and rehabilitation. Any costs involved in this physiotherapy can be included in your claim so you will not be left out of pocket.

Insurance companies are increasingly accepting of claims that include an element of physiotherapy or rehabilitative care. These treatments, if successful allow an injured person to return to work or to an active life more quickly, meaning other financial losses, such as ongoing care costs or loss of earnings, would be reduced.

Who will recover care compensation for assistance from friends and family?

Whilst many accident claims, including those made by people injured whilst riding a bike, might include money to cover the cost of any specialist medical treatments or care from a healthcare professional, you might not know that if any friend or family member has given up their time to help you with basic tasks then you can include compensation for their time as part of your claim.

For example, if a friend or relative has been helping you with basic tasks, such as going to the shops for you, or helping you to get washed and dressed, then any cycling accident claim you make can include compensation for the time spent helping you. If you have been receiving care and assistance from friends or relatives whilst recovering from your cycling accident, you should tell your solicitor about this, so that they can include it as an item in your total compensation claim.

How will I afford modifications to my home if I’m left with a disability?

Coming off your bicycle in a cycling accident could potentially leave you with very serious injuries, which may limit your mobility and make simple things like climbing the stairs both painful and difficult. If this is the case, you should speak to your solicitor about including the costs of any modifications you need to make to your home as part of your compensation claim.

Typical home modifications that accident victims have claimed for in the past have included fitting a temporary (or permanent) ramp to the front door of their home, to allow step-free access for a wheelchair. The installation of a stair-lift, if necessary, is another home modification that you may be able to claim compensation for as part of your claim.

Who will compensate me for loss of earnings?

If you need to take time off work after your cycling accident to recover from your injuries, then you can include any loss of earnings as part of your compensation claim. Your solicitor will need to calculate a figure for your lost earnings. This is usually done by looking at your wages for the months before your accident and accounting for factors which might have influenced your wages.

For example if you were due to be promoted before your accident, or if you were in line for a bonus that you will not now receive because you can’t work then the compensation you claim as part of your cycling accident claim will reflect these lost earnings. You can also make a claim for loss of earnings if you were able to return to work after your accident, but had to take a less well paid position because your injuries prevented you from returning to your previous role.

Who will compensate me for damage to my clothes and other items?

In a cycling accident, it is quite likely that if your bike is damaged and you suffer injuries, any other items you had on your person at the time might also be damaged. If your clothes and any valuables such as jewellery, your watch or your mobile phone were damaged then your solicitor will include compensation to cover the cost of repairing or replacing these items as part of your claim.

No obligation legal advice after a cycling accident

To get the best possible result after suffering an injury in a cycling accident claim, you need the services of a specialist road accident solicitor. At Canter Levin & Berg Solicitors, we have a team of legally qualified road accident solicitors ready to help you to make your cycling accident claim.  For a no-obligation telephone consultation with a member of our road accident claims team, call 0151 239 1180 today.

Headway Head Injury Solicitors MASS The Motor Accident Solicitors Society Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Solicitors The Credit Hire Organisation Lawyers Against Fraud