We use cookies to improve the browsing experience for you and others. If you would like to learn more about cookies please view our cookie policy. To accept cookies continue browsing as normal. Continue

Road Traffic Accidents > Uninsured Drivers

Uninsured and Untraced Driver Accident Compensation

96% of our Road Traffic Accident clients felt their case was dealt with sensitively

After an accident involving an uninsured, untraced or stolen vehicle, speak to the road accident solicitors at Canter Levin & Berg about making a compensation claim.

Quick Enquiry

If you would like any further information regarding road traffic law, please complete our short enquiry form below;

Thousands of people are injured in accidents each year caused by drivers who are driving without insurance, driving a stolen vehicle or who cannot be traced after the accident they have caused.

At Canter Levin & Berg we understand that, along with the distress and trauma felt by all road traffic accident victims, being involved in an accident where the person or persons responsible have been driving illegally or have failed to stop after the accident can carry with it an additional sense of frustration and injustice.

This is precisely the reason our road accident solicitors offer you a hassle-free service when it comes to claiming compensation after an accident involving an uninsured, untraceable or stolen vehicle.

Call us now on 0151 239 1180 and we’ll sort out your uninsured or untraced driver compensation claim through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, whilst you get on with your life.

What should I do if I have been injured by an uninsured driver?

Uninsured drivers are responsible for more than their fair share of road traffic accidents – if you are involved in a road accident, you should report it to the police and obtain a Crime Reference Number. There are many reasons why people might drive whilst uninsured, but whatever the reason, it is always best to take extra care if you have been involved in accident where you suspect the other driver or drivers involved are not insured.

If you are not putting yourself at any extra risk and it is safe to do so, then there are some things you can do after an accident involving an uninsured driver that might help to make any subsequent compensation claim more straightforward:

  • Make a note of the details of other vehicles involved in the accident, including the make, model and registration number.
  • If the other driver or drivers talk to you, remember or note down what they say, including their name and address if mentioned.
  • If it is safe to do so, taking picture of the accident on your camera phone can help to establish the road, weather and light conditions at the time as well as any road markings or tyre marks.
  • If there are any independent witnesses, their testimony could be very important to your compensation claim so it is important to take their details so that your solicitor can contact them at a later date.

How many accidents are caused by uninsured drivers?

Driving a car without insurance is illegal and despite a crackdown on uninsured motorists by the government and the police, it is estimated that there are still over 1.3 million uninsured vehicles on UK roads. Uninsured drivers and those whose details cannot be found after an accident (known as untraced drivers) are responsible for the deaths of around 130 people every year, as well as leaving a further 26,500 people with injuries.

Around 50,000 accidents a year are caused by uninsured or untraceable drivers and those who drive without insurance are involved in an average of two accidents a year. In total, the annual cost to the UK from uninsured driving is estimated by the Motor Insurers’ Bureau to be in the region of £400 million.

Can I claim compensation if an uninsured or untraced driver injured me?

The short answer is yes, you can make a claim after any non-fault accident where you have been injured, or your vehicle has been damaged. This includes accidents where the driver responsible was driving without insurance or where they left the scene of the accident without providing their details and cannot be traced. Road traffic accident claims of this nature will need to be made to the Motor Insurers’ Bureau, which has two separate funds, paid into by insurance companies, to compensate the victims of accidents caused by uninsured or untraceable drivers.

Get in touch with the road traffic accident claims team at Canter Levin & Berg Solicitors for a full and frank discussion of your accident and an assessment of your case. If you have grounds to make a claim, we can get your claim started the very same day you call.

MASS The Motor Accident Solicitors Society Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Solicitors The Credit Hire Organisation Lawyers Against Fraud