We use cookies to improve the browsing experience for you and others. If you would like to learn more about cookies please view our cookie policy. To accept cookies continue browsing as normal. Continue

Road Traffic Accidents > Uninsured Drivers > MIB Compensation Claims

Motor Insurers’ Bureau Road Accident Claims

96% of our Road Traffic Accident clients felt their case was dealt with sensitively

If you have been injured and your car damaged in an accident caused by an uninsured or untraced driver, you might be still be able to claim compensation through the Motor Insurers’ Bureau.

Quick Enquiry

If you would like any further information regarding road traffic law, please complete our short enquiry form below;

The Motor Insurers’ Bureau (MIB) was set up 1946 to compensate people who had been injured in accidents caused by negligent uninsured and untraced motorists. Every insurance company that provides cover to motorists in the UK is obliged to be a member of the MIB and to contribute towards its funding.

To help people who have been injured or whose vehicle has damaged in an accident, the MIB funds two schemes which will pay out compensation for injuries and to cover the costs of any repairs that are needed.

Untraced and Uninsured Drivers Agreements

These two schemes are called the Untraced Drivers Agreement and the Uninsured Drivers Agreement and they will pay out compensation in cases where the responsible driver cannot be found after the accident, or where they can be traced, but it is found that they were driving whilst uninsured.

In addition to the Untraced Drivers Agreement and the Uninsured Drivers Agreement, there is also a third scheme, known as the Green Card System, where the MIB will pay out compensation in the event that an accident is caused by a foreign-registered vehicle.

Making a claim to the MIB

If you have been injured in an accident and someone else is to blame, it is vitally important that the police are notified as soon as possible. This is particularly important when a claim is made to the MIB, as a failure to notify the Police within a reasonable period after your accident could mean you are no longer eligible to make a claim within the Untraced Drivers Agreement or the Uninsured Drivers Agreement.

To make a claim to the MIB, your Solicitor will fill out a claim form, which records the details of your accident, the damage to your vehicle and the injuries you have suffered. You should be aware that for claims made under the Untraced Drivers’ Agreement, a time limit of 9 months applies if the claim is only for damage to your vehicle or property. If you are also claiming compensation for your injuries, then the usual time limit of 3 years from the date of the accident applies.

For legal advice on Motor Insurers’ Bureau claims talk to our solicitors

If you’ve been involved in an accident with a driver who was uninsured, or who left the scene after the accident without providing any details, then our solicitors can help. From the initial enquiries through to the final settlement of your MIB claim, we will be on hand at every stage of your claim.

Our solicitors will work on your behalf so that you receive compensation that accurately reflects the impact that the road accident you were involved in on your life. To find out more about making a claim under the Motor Insurers’ Bureau Untraced or Uninsured Drivers Agreements from our Road Traffic Accident claims team, call now on 0151 239 1180.

Headway Head Injury Solicitors MASS The Motor Accident Solicitors Society Law Society Accredited Personal Injury Solicitors The Credit Hire Organisation Lawyers Against Fraud